2018 Grammy nominations

Creative Commons

Released on June 30 of 2017, JAY-Z’s album 4:44 has been a huge success, earning nominations in 3 of the 4 “Big Four” categories.

Avery Webb, News Editor

The 60th Grammy Awards nominations have been revealed for the show on January 28, causing much excitement as well as some disappointment. There are a total of 84 categories with titles up for grabs, but the most-desired titles are for Record of the Year, Album of the Year, Song of the Year, and Best New Artist.

These categories, also known as the “Big Four,” are the most coveted, they recognize winners of these categories as the most talented artists. Here are the nominations:

Record of the Year

• “Redbone” by Childish Gambino
  • “Despacito” by Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee featuring Justin Bieber
  • “The Story of O.J.” by JAY-Z
  • “HUMBLE.” by Kendrick Lamar
  • “24K Magic” by Bruno Mars

Album of the Year

• “Awaken, My Love!” by Childish Gambino
  • 4:44 by JAY-Z
  • DAMN. by Kendrick Lamar
  • Melodrama by Lorde
  • 24K Magic by Bruno Mars

Song of the Year

• “4:44” by JAY-Z
  • “Issues” by Julia Michaels
  • “1-800-273-8255” by Logic featuring Alessia Cara & Khalid
  • “That’s What I Like” by Bruno Mars

Best New Artist

• Alessia Cara
  • Khalid
  • Lil Uzi Vert
  • Julia Michaels
  • SZA

The reveals stirred up emotions in the fan armies of multiple artists, including the fans of Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, and Harry Styles. Ed Sheeran was nominated for Best Pop Solo Performance for his song “Shape of You”, and for Best Pop Vocal Album for “Divide”, but neither of these is in the “Big Four” categories of the Grammys. His album, released on March 3 of 2017, was a huge success for Sheeran with hits like “Perfect” and “Castle on the Hill.”

Taylor Swift’s fans are known for being quite aggressive when it comes to their favorite pop artist, and they were anything but happy to find she received minimal nominations this year. She was nominated for Best Song Written for Visual Media with “I Don’t Wanna Live Forever” alongside Zayn Malik, and for Best Country Song since Swift wrote a song for Little Big Town. Her new album Reputation did not receive any Grammy nominations for 2018 because the eligibility period extended from October 1 2016 to September 30 2017, and her album was released on November 10.

Harry Styles, previous member of boyband One Direction, made his solo debut this year with his self-titled album “Harry Styles.” It received positive attention from unlikely people for its ‘70s rock and roll vibes and sophisticated production, which was a surprising twist compared to his music while part of One Direction. Despite all of this, Styles received no nominations for 2018. “He deserves to be in the running,” said junior Sofia Barassi ‘19. “Harry Styles is just as successful as the others and deserves to be nominated.” He might not be seen as a true artist due to his boyband past, but many say that he has developed into a talented, independent artist.

Breakout boy band Why Don’t We also did not receive a nomination for Best New Artist. Freshman Grace Blaisdell ‘21 is upset about her favorite band not being nominated. “They’ve been a band for only a year and five months and they already played at Madison Square Garden,” said Blaisdell. Perhaps they will receive a nomination sometime in the future.

As for the artists who were nominated, their fans are ecstatic, especially for the category of Best New Artist, as fans love to see their favorite artists who they’ve been following since the beginning succeed so immensely. Senior Olivia Bourgeois ‘18 is satisfied with the nominations. “Each one of them has gained a lot of exposure this year,” she said. “They all have a unique touch to their music compared to other artists.”

For some artists, they will win their first Grammy. For others, it will be another trophy added to a collection to document their repeated success in the music industry.