2019 Winter Warmer Ergatta

+Pictured+is+5+members+of+the+Crew+team+at+their+Head+of+the+Charles+Regatta+in+the+Fall.+They+participated+in+it+on+October+21%2C+2018.+%E2%80%9CIt%E2%80%99s+a+long+day++of+racing%2C+leading+people+around+and+cleaning+up%2C%E2%80%9D+said+Katie+Souza%E2%80%99+19.%0A
Back to Article
Back to Article

2019 Winter Warmer Ergatta

Pictured is 5 members of the Crew team at their Head of the Charles Regatta in the Fall. They participated in it on October 21, 2018. “It’s a long day  of racing, leading people around and cleaning up,” said Katie Souza’ 19.

Pictured is 5 members of the Crew team at their Head of the Charles Regatta in the Fall. They participated in it on October 21, 2018. “It’s a long day of racing, leading people around and cleaning up,” said Katie Souza’ 19.

Leslie Eisenberg

Leslie Eisenberg

Leslie Eisenberg

Sofia Barassi, Sports Editor

The Crew team at Hollis Brookline High School hosted their fourth annual Winter Warmer Ergatta on Saturday, Feb. 2.

The team had their indoor regatta compiled of many races. “An Ergatta is essentially an indoor regatta, where all races take place on rowing machines (also known as ergs) instead of in boats on the water,” said Kate Stoll, a HB Crew Board Member.

At this fun-filled event, parents, siblings, staff and rowers were all welcome for a day of competitions and races. Each time slot allows for a race which takes about 3-4 minutes each. “We set up the night before [Friday] and put together new ergs. We set up tables for concessions as well. On the day of, the first few races are masters (adult rowers that compete) ages 40+, 50+, 60+ for 2000 meters. There were even a few men that came up from Boston who raced in the beginning in masters, and we cheered them on,” said Katie Souza ‘19, a four-year crew participant.

Throughout the day, the races and competitions were lively. Competing against teachers like Tracy Gray, a Physical Education teacher at HB, was exciting and energizing for the participants. “My favorite part of the day was the relay at the end which resulted in the gym erupting in shouts,” said Madoc Lewis ‘19, another 4-year crew member.

The Crew Club at HB raises money while hosting this regatta by presenting plenty of raffles.

“To raise money, we had a bunch of raffles with a $500 visa gift card, baskets for BBQ, beauty, date night, wine and dine, and even a $300 watch donated by Cardin jewelers,” said Souza.Overall, friends and competition certainly made the 2019 Winter Warmer Ergatta a memorable one. As far as next year, the Ergatta is open for the public to participate if registered. To look into the Crew Club’s events and results visit Regatta Central.