Football wrap-up: Defying history

After their final game, the football team came together to celebrate the fantastic end of a season.

Nicole Landry, Staff Writer

Entering and dominating their first playoff game and winning their conference, the Hollis-Brookline football team traveled to the semi-finals against Windham last Saturday, November 15th, where they exceeded expectations. For their first playoff game, HB, with a record of 4 wins and 4 losses during the regular season, faced an intimidating and competitive game against Sanborn Regional High School, who held a record of 5 wins and 3 losses during their season.

While Hollis-Brookline football has not seen a playoff game in three years, the team quickly adapted to manage every bit of pressure. Some players, such as Joe Brooks ‘15, and Wyatt Farwell ‘16, stepped up and contributed greatly in the final weeks of the season and into the playoffs. Brooks made impacting catches to propel the team into the endzone, and his interceptions turned the team’s attitude toward a positive direction. Farwell stepped into the role as main running back after the unexpected injury of Matt Ferenchzalmy ‘15, while continuing to make crucial tackles on defense. Moving on to the undefeated Windham the following week, the team knew they would have to face a new, extensive challenge.

During the Fall Sports Awards banquet, which took place Thursday before the game at Windham, Coach Lones stated that despite a negative prediction of a score of 48-6 and an over-under of 41, “Our team has only one word that comes to mind this week, and that is believe.” No one expected this team to do advance. Modestly and copiously, they entered the game as the only people to consider that they could make HB history.

Needless to say, the team’s dedication carried them a long way. The team arrived to the banquet late due to their practice and Sports Awards having conflicting schedules. The players ran home, took showers, and gathered their favorable clothes and threw them on as swiftly as possible, still showing up only a few sports into the ceremony.

After asking Mark Thibeault ‘15, about his final year as part of the HB football family, he tells us about the memories and type of environment he will never forget. “We always stuck together as a family and I’m honored to be part of such a great senior class, with the beginning of a new era in HB Football.”

The team lost 32 to 7, but the team’s families, fans, and spectators couldn’t be more proud of their accomplishments this season. Holding Windham to 32 points required a defensive team–one that tackled, hustled, and refused to give up. HB persevered until the last seconds of the game and gave Windham their toughest game of the season. As they walked off that field as a united team, they defined not only their season, but also their camaraderie.