Looking towards the future

Nicole Landry

Wyatt Farwell runs the ball down field with help from offensive line

Alexander Cate, Opinion Editor

It’s been a whirlwind of a season and the Cavalier football program is finally at a close. With an 32-7 loss to Windham, many seniors have hung up the pads for the last time. Captain of the football team, Mike Morgan ‘15, said “It’s hard to be leaving the sport I love. After so many years, it’s hard to say goodbye.” With the season over, the team looks towards the future. The sole Junior Captain, Wyatt Farwell ‘16, is the only returning full-year starter for the Cavaliers, and will (along with other junior players) try to continue the team’s progress into the ‘15-’16 season.

Farwell has played with the exiting senior class for the last four to five years, and having this many players leave at once is always devastating for the players who return the following year. “How does it feel to be the only permanent starter returning next year? Lonely.” Said Farwell.

“The seniors that are leaving are some of my best friends and we’ve been playing together for quite a while.”
The most difficult issue with High School sports is finding a way to rebuild after losing major contributions to the team. Farwell said, “we have a lot of up-and-coming talent in the 2017 and 2018 classes.”

Claiming the Western Conference Championship last week, this Cavaliers team can most certainly be considered “the best yet.” It seems hard to see the next year of players being able to top it. Farwell, on the other hand, has a different look, “I think we will do fine with with filling positions on varsity next year.”

Much like all fall sports, we’ll just have to wait and see.